google.com, pub-8574905978341049, DIRECT, f08c47fec0942fa0 User-agent: Mediapartners-Google* Disallow:

Friday, December 02, 2005

To an Old Teapot

NOW from the dust of half-forgotten
things,
You rise to haunt me at the year's Spring-
cleaning,
And bring to memory dim imaginings
Of mystic meaning.

No old-time potter handled you, I ween,
Nor yet were you of gold or silver molten;
No Derby stamp, nor Worcester, can be
seen,
Nor Royal Doulton.

You never stood to grace the princely
board
Of monarchs in some Oriental palace.
Your lid is chipped, your chubby side is
scored
As if in malice.


I hesitate to say it, but your spout
Is with unhandsome rivets held together --
Mute witnesses of treatment meted out
In regions nether.

O patient sufferer of many bumps!
I ask it gently -- shall the dustbin hold
you?
And will the dust-heap, with its cabbage
stumps,
At last enfold you?

It ought. And yet with gentle hands I
place
You with my priceless Delft and Dresden
china,
For sake of one who loved your homely
face
In days diviner.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

How well you express value vs price. Thanks
Kris

12:45 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home